Friday, November 18, 2011

Follow Up Friday: What is a Birth Center?

Most women know they can give birth in a hospital or at home, but many are not aware that there is a third option, a Birth Center.  I gave birth in a birth center. On Monday I posted my blogtalkradio interview about my experience.

A Birth Center (also known as a Birthing Center) is a healthcare facility, that may be located within a hospital (referred to as Alternative Birth Centers) or free-standing,  for labor and delivery that offers a more homelike environment.  Birth centers typically offer more options such as the freedom to move about the room, eat/drink, create a more personal environment with items such as candles, music, etc, and allow for the attendance of more family and friends.  The rooms are private and all stages of labor are done in the same room and they usually are equiped with soaking tubs/birthing tubs, and showers. 

Birth centers are meant to normalize and take a more holistic and intervention-free approach to childbirth.  They cater to women who are looking to have a natural birth with the use of drug-free pain management methods. 

What are some of the benefits of a Birth Center:

-More Personal
-More Freedom
-Less Unecessary Medical Intervention
-Great option for those who want a natural birth but do not want to birth at home
-Most offer extra breastfeeding help
-Typically lower costs
-Most are covered by insurance
-Speedier Checkout- mom and baby can often leave within 12-24 hrs of delivery
-Encouragent and support for natural birth

Here are a couple of photos of the center I birthed in:

In this photo you can see the soaking tub that I labored in



Here you can see more of the room and the queen-sized bed



If you are interested in a natural birth, but aren't interested in having a homebirth, I would strongly recommend looking for a birth center in you area:  Birth Center Directory

9 comments:

Amanda said...

This was a great article on birthing center - so nice to see some pictures and get a little more info! I'm expecting my first in February! :)

I found you through the Weekend Blog Hop, I hope you'll take a minute to check out my blog!

mamawolfe said...

I used a birthing center for both of my babies...wouldn't have had it any other way. Thanks for linking to our hop today!

Mom Fashion World said...

Thank you for the info.

I'm your newest follower in GFC from the Weekend Blog Hop,
and I would love a follow back.

http://www.momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

christymg said...

What a great post. I did not give birth at a birth center, but I did use midwives which made for a wonderful experiences.

Glad I found you on the blog hop.

http://goodinmyfeet.blogspot.com/

LisaWeidknecht said...

I had my son in a birthing center WITHIN a hospital. It was really cool, like a suite hotel room. But the medical team was nearby just in case! Thanks for joining my Planet Weidknecht weekend hop!

Kiddothings said...

It's so wonderful to have a birth center. As far as I know, there aren't any birth centers in my country Malaysia...or maybe I haven't gone looking for them before. :)

Jessica said...

If I didn't have complications that required hospitalization, I would have sought out a birthing center. Thanks!

Cookie's Mom said...

Very helpful info! That room looks lovely. I was at a hospital, and thought they treated me really well it certainly wasn't as nice as a birthing centre.

Thanks for linking up with BOTB.

Chasing Joy said...

I did not know birthing centers can be located within hospitals.

Linking up from Cookie's Chroicles Best of the Blogosphere.

Post a Comment