Friday, November 4, 2011

Friday Follow Up: Encapsulating Your Placenta

So, this post was originally planned to be a how-to on encapsulating.  Then, I did the research and realized how much is involved.  The majority of women will not have the tools needed (dehydrator, grinder) or the workspace to do the encapsulation themselves (and after seeing the photos, I can guarantee that my husband would not be too happy if I did this in my kitchen!).  So, instead I will just give you a brief description of the process and then I will tell you where to go to find an encapsulator near you.

Encapsulation starts by rinsing the placenta and severing the cord.  Next, the placenta is sliced into thin, uniform strips and dehydrated.  After the placenta is dried it is ground to a powder.  The powder is then putting into capsules to be taken every day.

This should yield between 150 and 200 capsules.  The capsules should be kept in the refrigerator and will keep indefinitely.  The recommended dose is 2 capsules twice a day, but this may be increased depending the needs of the mother. 

Again, the benefits of doing this are numerous, so I highly recommend looking into it. 
Here are some places to start:

Placenta Network

International Directory

Placenta Benefits

Also, get in touch with your midwife, doula, or birth center to see if they offer this service or if they can direct you to someone who does.

2 comments:

Frugal in WV said...

I know some women who have done this :) Both of my babies were c-sections due to health issues, would have loved to have a natural birth! New follower from MBC, have a great weekend! You can find me at
http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/
Stop by my blog when you get the chance :)

Mommy of 3 said...

I can already tell I'm gonna love your blog! I wanted to do this when my twins were born, but we ended up with a hospital birth, avoided a cesarean, but still didn't get the placentas. :( Hopefully next time... I'm now following from MBC. Find me at http://onceuponbaby.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment