Thursday, March 8, 2012

Birth Day Thursday: Kaye's Story

This week is the birth Story of Kaye’s second child, Mori. Her first birth was not the experience she had hoped for, but when she became pregnant for the second time she decided to have the birth she had always wanted.

This is her story in her own words:

“At 25 I gave birth to my first Daughter at the local hospital. I was pushed towards a hospital birth by my midwife as it was the "safest" option for a first time Mum.

The hospital was short staffed and I was left alone in my room, terrified and in pain. I ended up having pethadine against all of my plans for a natural birth. My little girl, Tora, weighing 8lb 2oz was born. No one showed me how to latch her on so between us we worked it out. I breastfed Tora for over 2 years so we obviously got it right somehow!

When I fell pregnant with my second Daughter, Mori, I was determined to have a natural birth. I had moved to a small village since having Tora and this meant I had a new midwife.

As I prepared for my booking in appointment I ran through arguments in my head about why I wouldn't give birth in a hospital. I thought I would have to fight for the right to birth my way but to my delight, my midwife asked me where I would prefer to have my baby! There was no doubt in my mind that Crowborough birthing centre was my first choice. I had been born there 30 years earlier and knew that natural birthing was encouraged and supported.

 I awoke on 31st December 2010 at 6am. My waters had broken! I phoned the centre and they told me to go in when I felt I was ready and having regular contractions.

When I arrived I was welcomed in and taken to my room. Once I was there my contractions slowed down and then gradually stopped. I was told that if I hadn't given birth by 1am they would have to transfer me to the hospital. I was devastated and sat on the birthing ball and sobbed for an hour or more. The midwives tried to comfort me but with the fear of hospital looming over me my contractions didn't return.

It felt like days had passed but in reality it was just a few hours. The staff changed over and the new midwife came in to introduce herself. She said she had some advice for me but didn't want to sound odd. She went on to tell me that nipple stimulation tricked the body in to thinking the baby had been born and was feeding which would make my womb contract.

I only had 2 hours left to make progress towards birth before they had no choice but to transfer me to the hospital, so once she had left the room I gave it a try.

Within a couple of minutes I was overjoyed to feel an intense contraction, as I continued the contractions came faster and stronger.

I decided it was time to get into the birthing pool. The warm water soothed the contractions and supported my body but I couldn't seem to push hard enough when the time came.

One of the midwives suggested I got out and sat on the birthing stool for a short while to help my baby move down. With a midwife on each side I climbed out of the pool and sat on the stool. Suddenly gravity gave me a helping hand. I gave three big pushes and my baby was born. The midwife passed her straight to me. I held her as she let out her first scream. I whispered to her "Mummy's here, Mummy's got you"

Mori was born at 12.28 1st January 2011 weighing 9lb 7oz.

I moved to the bed and waited for the umbilical cord to stop pulsating as I latched Mori on for her first feed.

I felt so happy to have had a beautiful natural birth and can't wait to do it all again!”

Kaye, thank you so much for sharing this awesome example of a mommy taking charge of her birth!

1 comment:

Tim said...

http://tim-charlotteivymarie.blogspot.com/ follow and visit my blog:) I'm your new follower from Mom Bloggers Club :))

Post a Comment