Monday, February 25, 2013

Homebirth: Part 7

Well, no pictures of delicious meals yet... The cooking party is planned for this Thursday when I'll have the help of my mom and sister. I'll make sure to get up some pictures and ideas for good meals to freeze.

Since the last post I had another appointment with my midwife. Things are going pretty good. My blood pressure is staying up at a normal place now and I hardly ever have any dizziness anymore.  I was a little dehydrated that morning so there were also a few traces of protein and bilirubin in my urine so in addition to my daily Red Raspberry Leaf tea, I am drinking a combination of Dandelion Root, Licorice Root, and Milk Thistle to make sure my liver stays strong.  It's a good thing I like tea, right?

At the appointment we went over the basic plan for when labor starts and went through my birth supplies.  I am missing two things. The first is a hose for the waterbirth. I did order a hose, but it wasn't going to ship in time so I canceled the order and I'll just have to make a trip up to Home Depot. So, that was no big deal.  The second thing I was missing was the Newborn Screening Kit... that one I just completely forgot about... oops! We sent for it that day and we're just hoping it makes it here in time now.

I have my next appointment next Wednesday (March 6), I'll be 38 weeks!

Pretty much everything is ready for the baby to get here. Like I said in the last post I have been doing a lot of pregnancy exercises to make sure my body is ready for birth. I have also been doing a lot of emotional and spiritual preparation for my baby to arrive.  This includes a lot of visualization, relaxation, and breathing practice, but more importantly it involves a TON of praying and connecting with God.

Here are the prayers I am using to prepare for birth:

For a Happy Delivery
Lord Jesus Christ, who said, "Allow the little children to come to me, for the kingdom of heaven is for such," I thank you with all my heart for the great and holy privilege you have granted me in calling me to present you with a little child, so precious in your sight. I praise and bless your divine goodness which has conferred this supreme favor on me, and I acknowledge myself altogether unworthy of this holy gift. I bless, too, your divine goodness for giving me such a sweet and holy patroness in your mother, the model of exaltation of all Christian  motherhood.
Dear Jesus, I beg you to be mindful of the prayers and intercession of your immaculate mother in my behalf; heed her petitions for me and, as you have so blessed me in this pregnancy, mercifully grant the happy delivery which I now ask through her, my patroness, our Lady of Happy Delivery.
Amen

Labor Prayer By Donna Wilson
Dear Father, thank You for this new baby. Would You protect and nurture this baby and bring this pregnancy to full term. In labor, would You remove all fear and replace it with faith and expectation. Please give those attending the birth wisdom to take the best care of mother and baby. Please let this baby be born normal and whole, healthy and strong, and at home with no complications with baby or mother.
Father, thank You for hearing my prayer, for I pray in the name of Him who is called Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Amen

 Prayer for Mother's Doctor/Midwife
Lord Jesus Christ, lover of the little children, grant you abundant blessings on my midwife (doctor). For even more important than the task of preserving life is her (his) task of bringing that life into the world. Give my midwife (doctor) a deep appreciation of the work that she (he) performs. May she (he) ever know how precious that duty is in your sight. Guide her (his) hands at all times, and may all their work be done for your honor. May she (he) ever regard her (his) office as a sacred trust received from you. And finally, may she (he) one day know your rich rewards for having striven earnestly and faithfully to help little children to come to you according to you desires.
Amen

Prayer to Nurse a Child
Holy Mary, your remember devoutly how as a young mother you pressed the divine Jesus tenderly to your breast. You were not then denied that precious privilege of motherhood, to nourish the life you brought into this world.
Dear Mother of Mothers, I beg you to speak to God with me now to obtain the privilege that I too may so nourish the child to whom I shall soon give birth. May I know this fullness of the office of the holy motherhood. And ask with me, too, Holy Mother, that, in the fulfillment of this blessed office which God has so beautifully ordained, I shall be closely drawn to my child with the tenderest mother love and that by this bond of affection I shall likewise be better able to nourish the soul of my little one with the holy truths of faith, so that my child may serve his Creator with a strong body and an upright mind in fidelity and love.
Mother of Mothers, Pray for me!

The Madonna Rosary created by Father Timothy Sauppe
Use an ordinary Rosary, but pray the following variation of the Hail Mary and meditate on the Five Mysteries of the Maternity of Mary:
Hail Mary , full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus
Holy Mary, mother of God, blessed is the womb that carried Jesus and the breasts that nursed him. Blessed are those who hear the Word of God and keep it.
The Five Mysteries of the Maternity of Mary 
The Quickening: the Blessed Mother feels Jesus' first movements in the womb.
His First Nursing: the Blessed Mother gives her infant his first nourishment.
His First Steps: Jesus takes his first steps toward his destiny.
His First Words: Jesus speaks for the first time
Jesus is Weaned: the last breast-fed bond between Mother and Son.
*Something I hope everyone will note in this Rosary, weaning comes AFTER Jesus' first words... maybe extended breastfeeding isn't just normal and what is best for babies, but is also our duty as Christian mothers...? (Please don't turn this into a point of drama. I am not saying that you are not a good Christian if you are unable to breastfeed, or cannot breastfeed for an extended period. What I am saying is that it is our responsibility to TRY to provide our babies with breastmilk for as long as possible.)
I encourage all expecting mothers take some time to pray at least one of these prayers in preparation for the arrival of your baby.  If any of you are willing, I, of course, appreciate any time any of you can take to send a few prayers my way as well.

Thanks!

Should be updating again very soon!






4 comments:

Sandra Rose Hughes said...

What a wonderful process you are going through. I love the prayers you have posted here. We often forget to include Jesus in the very process he created at the foundation of the world! I pray you have a blessed delivery.

teresaemmot said...

I've never heard of the Rosary Mysteries linked to Mary's Maternity... nice :) and where would you order a Newborn Screening Kit. We need to get one too...

Carmen-Natural Mommy Talk said...

@teresaemmot
I got a form from my midwife that I had to send in to my state's health department.

I would ask your midwife if she has the order form. If not, it looks like you can download the order from on most states' department of health website.

My midwife told me that they can take awhile to arrive sometimes, so I would order it sooner rather than later.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful prayers...absolutely love the Marian rosary as well, that one was truly amazing! i can't breastfeed myself, but still view the way i feed my children as "nursing" (eye contact, close hold, bottle nipple near the breast). it's always interesting to remember that Mary went through a lot of the same things we do now!

Post a Comment